The 2017 edition will take place on sunday october 1st
2016 Race Results
Two little videos from inside the race…
2016 Scratch results01-chronoclassementscratch
Scratch and category results for all current and previous VGS Races
LiveCast 7ie VGS
Tomorow starting at 10:00 follow 7ie VGS live with our partner Obicast
Informations for D day
5 off road car rotations will carry competitor bags to the top. Please be sure to be at the race enrollment 30 minutes minimum before your car rotation.
start 9h30 competitors from 334 to 264
10h00 competitors from 263 to 193
10h30 competitors from 192 to 122
11h00 competitors from 121 to 51
12h30competitors from 50 to 1 and for competitors from 335 to 400.
Competitors can still enroll at 9 on the 2nd of october still limited by 400 competitors These late competitors will sart every 5 seconds after 13:26.
Please find below race start scheduled time for each competitor ordered by nameliste-depart-par-nom-vgs-2016
Please find below race start scheduled time for each competitor ordered by competitor numberliste-depart-par-dossard-vgs-2016
• 7:30 am to 9 am: of number withdrawals and on-site registration to a limit of 400 enrolled
• 8 to 9 am: riders bag drop to be carried on arrival spotal starting times will be posted on the website two days before the race.
• 10:30 am: departure of first racer Time Trial **
• at 12h30 pm: snack & drinks• at 3h pm: results and awards
Water supply is proposed halfway on the climb. Then more variety of dinks on arrival. On the top, runners can also pick up their bags previously given to the organization.
Runners descend off following the compulsory marked route down (it is forbidden to go down the ascent route).
*Schedules are subject to change.
** The individual starting times will be posted on the website two days before the race.
Previous races results
During 2015 edition , new records have been made by Kilian Jornet and Axelle Mollaret very close to world best performance…
- 2015 : Kilian Jornet 30 min et 25 sec – Axelle Mollaret 35 min et 54 sec
- 2014 : Xavier Gachet 32 min 03 sec – Axelle Mollaret 37 min et 38 sec
- 2013 : Xavier Gachet 33 min 36 sec – Christelle Dewalle 38 min 45 sec
- 2012 : Mathéo Jacquemoud 33 min 24 sec – Corinne Favre 44 min 15 sec
- 2011 : Serge Garnier 35 min 02 sec – Blandine Ducrest 52 min
- 2010 : Serge Garnier 35 min 29 sec – Valentine Malavoy-Fabre 48 min 37 sec
The 7th edition of « la Verticale du Grand Serre » will take place on the 2nd of october 2016. The race is open to anybody who is at least 18 years by the 2nd of october 2016 and limited to 400 competitors.
Begining of inscriptions:
The inscription period will end by the 28th of september 2016.
The 6th edition of the “Verticale du Grand Serre” (VGS) took place Saturday, September 5, 2015.
THE RESULTS 2015
On October 28, 2014, the course was measured by Atmo Géomètres, a land surveyor firm and the verdict was: the climb is exactly 1000m of ascent for an horizontal distance of 1811m, as such, 109 meters less than vertical kilometer of Fully, the reference in the field. The VGS can therefore emerge as the Vertical Kilometer steepest to date.
While, with 32 min and 3 sec for Xavier Gachet at the 2014 edition, we are still far from the World Record set in 2014 by Urban Zemmer in 29 min and 42 sec, VGS gives great hopes for a new Wolrd Record.
About the route: it begins in the fields, continues with a steep path through the forest to finish straight up in the slope.
At the very end, the slope is becomes flater and joins the summit of the Grand Serre. Upon arrival, after catching up your breath, you can admire the 360 degree view of the surrounding French Alps.
Previous Race Results
Rules and guidelines
The race is open to all from 18 years gone (to 2nd october 2016) until a limit of 400 participants.
The times are lower and lower year by year. Men and women records were set in 2014 by Xavier Gachet and Axelle Mollaret, both members of the French Ski Mountaineering Team.
- 2015 : Kilian Jornet en 30 min et 25 sec – Axelle Mollaret en 35 min et 54 sec
- 2014 : Xavier Gachet in 32 min 03 sec – Axelle Mollaret in 37 min 38 sec
- 2013 : Xavier Gachet in 33 min 36 sec – Christelle Dewalle in 38 min 45 sec
- 2012 : Mathéo Jacquemoud in 33 min 24 sec – Corinne Favre ien 44 min 15 sec
- 2011 : Serge Garnier in 35 min 02 sec – Blandine Ducrest in 52 min
- 2010 : Serge Garnier in 35 min 29 sec – Valentine Malavoy-Fabre in 48 min 37 sec
Coming to the VGS
The VGS is by a small village named Cholonge. This peaceful village is 30 km south of Grenoble and a half hour drive on the “Napoleon route”. You will pass by the historical place, the field where Napoleon met his troops, on March 7, 1815 returning back for Elbe island.
Please, save the planet and strongly consider carpooling!
– From Grenoble take the A51 highway towards Sisteron and then exit 8 « Bourg d’Oisans – Briançon ». At Vizille, turn right toward La Mure – Gap. There is a long step climb until Laffrey. In Laffrey, turn left to Cholonge.
– From Gap take the direction of Corps, then La Mure, then – Grenoble via RN 85. At La Mure direction Laffrey. In Laffrey turn right to Cholonge.
Accomodations partners with VGS
Gîte de séjour LE MAS: If you are looking for a low cost accodomation the day before the VGS race, Cholonge Gite LE MAS offers you a 18€ night (you have to bring your sleeping bag and your food)